Join our team and work with the industry to promote Canadian soybeans!
Market Development Manager – Soy Canada
Major Purpose: Work with the industry to promote Canadian soybeans in international markets
A rare opportunity to work with the whole industry to promote Canadian soybeans in international markets. The ideal candidate will lead the organization’s efforts to grow markets for Canadian soybeans.
Soy Canada (www.soycanada.ca) is a national association based in Ottawa bringing together every group involved in the development, production, handling, processing and export of Canadian soybeans. Soy Canada has established a strong and clear voice for the Canadian soybean industry, leveraging the power of one voice for the entire value chain. Soy Canada supports the industry’s growth and prosperity by working in four strategic areas: industry leadership, government relations and market access, market development and research coordination.
Manager, Market Development
The Manager of Market Development is responsible for managing the planning and implementation of market development and promotion activities targeted at export markets for Canadian soybeans. As part of an integrated team, the role also includes supporting communications, market access, member relations and government relations activities. The role is based in Ottawa, though consideration will be given to qualified candidates interested in working remotely.
Reporting to the Executive Director, your primary responsibilities will include:
- Leading the planning and implementation of market development and promotion activities in Canada’s soybean export markets including outgoing international promotion missions, domestic coordination, creating promotional content, directing specialized external communications/logistical/research contractors, and supporting the reputation of Canadian soybeans in export markets.
- Supporting Soy Canada’s efforts on industry priorities related to industry leadership, market access, market development and research coordination. This includes identifying and researching issues, preparing responses to information requests on soybean issues, answering written and oral inquiries and monitoring market and policy developments.
- Work with research institutions and other parties related to building and expanding markets, and identify and foster relations across the value chains with stakeholder groups to achieve key results for Soy Canada.
- In coordination with the executive director, participating in domestic and international industry meetings, industry events, and consultations on key national issues and strategies, with the goal to identify and pursue key market development priorities and opportunities.
- Providing analysis, guidance and recommendations on current and emerging issues, trends and technologies in international soybean markets to the executive director and board of directors as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain market development projects according to the allocated budgets, working closely with the Executive Director on planning and implementation.
The skills and experiences you need:
- Strong understanding of agriculture, marketing and the soybean industry.
- Ability to build extensive relationships with members in the soybean exporting community, other members such as grower organization staff and grower leaders, as well and other international stakeholders.
- Highly organized: ability to plan, organize and manage multiple projects / issues.
- Significant communication skills – good judgement, listening and well spoken, with a collaborative approach.
- Exceptional writing skills in order to adapt complex information into concise reports, articles, memos, bulletins, and presentations etc.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse membership and culturally diverse international stakeholders.
- Complete understanding and experience in the business development process and how new and expanding markets develop, supporting member organizations.
- Ability to evaluate and analyze market opportunities from a financial and feasibility aspect.
- Proven ability to be flexible, with the ability to keep pace with fast–paced work environment.
- Self-starter, highly motivated and able to show initiative, sound judgement, integrity and high levels of creativity and critical thinking skills.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience working in marketing/promotion roles, preferably with the soybean/grain industry.
- Post-secondary education degree or diploma in business, agri-business, public affairs, agriculture, international business, commerce and / or related. An MBA or Masters in related areas would be an asset.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and social media.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as required.
- Bilingualism (French/English) is an asset.
If you are a looking for a unique opportunity to support the industry in marketing Canadian soybeans to the world, we want to hear from you. Please send your resume and cover letter to Brian Innes at email@example.com